This is my third recipe for borscht – a little different because this one is made (almost completely) out of canned vegetables. Bonus, there’s almost no chopping with julienne-cut beets in a can. Fast! Easy!
Instant Ukrainian has not one but two other borscht recipes. Creamy Summer Instant Pot Borscht is full of the best summer vegetables. Vegetarian Vegan Instant Pot Borscht is a special borscht for Sviata Vecheria – the special Ukrainian Christmas Eve meal. There are even special Mushroom Vushka Dumplings to go with the borscht. They’re all full of vegetables.
But, what if you want borscht now? (Or about half an hour from now)
These French Style Julienne Beets are the key to this very simple borscht recipe. Each can is 15oz (425g), and you’ll need two for this recipe.
While the onions saute in 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil on Low for 3-5 minutes, stir occasionally and start to open up all of the cans you’ll need. But, make sure they don’t start to brown.
Want to save even more time, use Instant Onions from your freezer.
Rinse a large can (19oz or 540mL) of diced potatoes.
Don’t drain the canned beets – add them into the Instant Pot along with the liquid. Then add the rinsed, diced potatoes and a 28oz / 796mL can of crushed tomatoes. Add this giant, optional bay leaf.
Seal that Instant Pot up and set it to cook on Manual for 5 minutes on Less/Low pressure. Yes, 5 minutes but this will really be just 20 minutes. But – borscht in 20 minutes!
While you’re waiting, open a can of green beans and rinse them in a colander. If you prefer, you can use frozen green beans or frozen peas.
Wait 10 minutes for a natural release then release the pressure.
Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Adjust the seasoning to your taste with salt and pepper. Add in the canned green beans and about ¼ to ½ cup of chopped dill (fresh, frozen or dried). An easy way to cut up frozen dill is with scissors.
- Can opener
- Instant Pot
- Using Instant Onions saves at least 5 minutes of simmering onions
- Not having to chop all the vegetables can save almost 30 minutes
Instant Pot Quick Vegetarian-Vegan "Canned" Borscht
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 19 oz / 540 mL canned diced potatoes
- 2 - 15 oz / 425g cans of julienne beets with liquid
- 28 oz / 796 mL crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 15 oz / 425 can chopped green beans
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup frozen or fresh dill chopped
- Saute the onion on Low in the Instant Pot with 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil. Do not allow to brown.
- Rinse the can of chopped potatoes in a colander
- Add the cans of beets (with liquid), crushed tomatoes to the Instant Pot along with the crushed tomatoes. Stir and add the bay leaf (if using)
- Seal and set the Instant Pot to cook on Manual for 5 minutes at Low/Less Pressure.
- Rinse off the can of green beans in a colander.
- Wait 10 minutes before releasing the pressure. Add the green beans, 1 Tablespoon vinegar, 1 Tablespoon sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Add the chopped dill.