These beets and mushrooms are a great side dish – or one of your twelve dishes for Sviata Vecheria. It works for summer as well as it does for Christmas. Bright and colourful. Make-ahead and served cold or at room temperature. It’s easy and no-fuss.
The traditional recipe for beets and mushrooms – буряк з грибами – uses raw garlic. But, I found that a little strong. If that’s your thing, you can skip the step to roast garlic and add 3 cloves of chopped garlic at the end of the recipe.
Start by roasting a whole head of garlic in the oven. Slice off the top of the garlic head to expose the cloves. Drizzle on some oil and grind a bit of pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes at 400°F.
I used chiogga beets – the striped beets. This works just as well with yellow and red beets.
When steamed the stripes almost completely disappear, and chiogga beets become a light pink. These are very sweet beets.
Scrub the beets. Steam them on High Pressure Manual for 12 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the beets. I had one large and two medium sized beets and cooked them for 15 minutes. Chop them into a thick julienne. (Or use canned julienned beets)
Meanwhile, saute an onion on low for 15 minutes with 1 Tablespoon butter and 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil. If you’re making this for Sviata Vecheria, use 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil.
While the onions are cooking, slice ½ pound mushrooms.
Add the mushrooms to the onions and saute until browned – about 7 or 8 minutes.
Add the sliced beets and the roasted garlic (or raw, chopped garlic if that’s your preference). The head of garlic I had was enormous so I just used half of the giant cloves – about ¼ cup. Use as much or as little garlic as you like.
Add 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and combine all the ingredients. Seal up the whole thing in a container and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Instant Pot Beets and Mushrooms with roasted garlic
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Steam insert for Instant Pot
- 10 inch frying pan
- Vegetable peeler
- 1 pound chiogga, red or yellow beets
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ pound mushrooms white or brown
- 3 garlic cloves roasted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the top of a head of garlic to expose the cloves and drizzle on vegetable oil. Roast a head of garlic in aluminum foil at 400°F for 30 to 45 minutes
- Trim and wash beets. Steam for 15 minutes at High Pressure using 2 cups of water. Do a quick release of the steam.
- While the beets are steaming, saute the chopped onion with 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (or 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil). Cook slowly in a frying pan on medium-low heat for 15 minutes
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the onions. Increase the heat to medium and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the chopped roasted garlic cloves and beets. Combine with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours. Serve cold or at room temperature.