These beets and mushrooms are a great side dish – or one of your twelve dishes for Sviata Vecheria. It works for summer as well as it does for Christmas. Bright and colourful. Make-ahead and served cold or at room temperature. It’s easy and no-fuss.
The traditional recipe for beets and mushrooms – буряк з грибами – uses raw garlic. But, I found that a little strong. If that’s your thing, you can skip the step to roast garlic and add 3 cloves of chopped garlic at the end of the recipe.
Start by roasting a whole head of garlic in the oven. Slice off the top of the garlic head to expose the cloves. Drizzle on some oil and grind a bit of pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes at 400°F.
I used chiogga beets – the striped beets. This works just as well with yellow and red beets.
When steamed the stripes almost completely disappear, and chiogga beets become a light pink. These are very sweet beets.
Scrub the beets. Steam them on High Pressure Manual for 12 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the beets. I had one large and two medium sized beets and cooked them for 15 minutes. Chop them into a thick julienne. (Or use canned julienned beets)
Meanwhile, saute an onion on low for 15 minutes with 1 Tablespoon butter and 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil. If you’re making this for Sviata Vecheria, use 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil.
While the onions are cooking, slice ½ pound mushrooms.
Add the mushrooms to the onions and saute until browned – about 7 or 8 minutes.
Add the sliced beets and the roasted garlic (or raw, chopped garlic if that’s your preference). The head of garlic I had was enormous so I just used half of the giant cloves – about ¼ cup. Use as much or as little garlic as you like.
Add 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and combine all the ingredients. Seal up the whole thing in a container and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Instant Pot Beets and Mushrooms with roasted garlic
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Steam insert for Instant Pot
- 10 inch frying pan
- Vegetable peeler
- 1 pound chiogga, red or yellow beets
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ pound mushrooms white or brown
- 3 garlic cloves roasted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the top of a head of garlic to expose the cloves and drizzle on vegetable oil. Roast a head of garlic in aluminum foil at 400°F for 30 to 45 minutes
- Trim and wash beets. Steam for 15 minutes at High Pressure using 2 cups of water. Do a quick release of the steam.
- While the beets are steaming, saute the chopped onion with 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (or 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil). Cook slowly in a frying pan on medium-low heat for 15 minutes
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the onions. Increase the heat to medium and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the chopped roasted garlic cloves and beets. Combine with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours. Serve cold or at room temperature.
One thought on “Instant Pot Beets and Mushrooms with roasted garlic”
This recipe made me super hungry! I’ve been looking for new ways to use beets. I can’t wait to try this out! Thanks for sharing!