These marinated beets are very simple to make in the Instant Pot. They’re easy to make ahead (you kind of have to make them ahead to allow them to marinate), and they’re easy to serve as a colourful side dish in the winter. Also, a great addition to your table for Sviata Vecheria.
This is the first of a few beet recipes this month. I’ve been ordering a “farmer’s surprise box” of vegetables. And, each week this month I’ve been “surprised” by 2.5 pounds of small beets.
These beets seemed young. So, I just scrubbed them well with a brush before steaming them. I cut a few in half just to even out the sizes going into the Instant Pot.
I trimmed the beets so they were all equal in size. This meant I could steam them in the Instant Pot on Manual for 10 minutes on High Pressure along with some vinegar. If you have larger beets, either trim them down to 2-inch pieces or increase that cooking time.
Mix up a vinegar-based marinade with cinnamon and cloves. I used white wine vinegar – but white vinegar would also work well.
Cool those beets under running water – and slip off any skins. Some of my beets had tougher skins and others did not. Slice them into thin, round slices and pour over the marinade. Marinate overnight and serve as a side dish.
Instant Pot Marinated Beets
- Instant Pot
- Steam insert for Instant Pot
- 13 inch by 9 inch oblong baking dish
- 2½ pounds beets small
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1½ cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cloves whole
- Rinse and scrub the beets. Add them to the Instant Pot on top of a steamer insert with 2 cups of water and 2 Tablespoons white vinegar.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook for 10 minutes (for small beets)
- Release the pressure immediately and transfer the beets to a cutting board to start to cool. Or, rinse under water to cool off faster (and slip off any skins)
- While the beets are cooking, combine the 1½ cups white wine vinegar, 1 cup water, ¼ cup honey, 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 whole cloves in a measuring cup. Boil on High power in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Slice the beets into ¼ inch round slices
- Arrange the beets in a low casserole dish or 13"x9" oblong Pyrex pan
- Pour the marinade mixture over the beets. Ensure all the beets are covered. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove the whole cloves before serving.
- This recipe is great to serve as a side dish
- To make serving easier (and less messy), serve the drained beets instead of the beets with the marinade