This is a recipe for a simple and easy potato soup. How is this potato soup more Ukrainian than regular potato soup? This comes from some variations on potato soup that were in my set of Ukrainian women’s cookbooks but also the memory of my baba’s creamy potato soup. Plus, this one has added Ukrainian-ness with cabbage and a cup of sour cream that makes it extra creamy.
Chop the onion into a small dice.
Start the Instant Pot on Saute – Low for the onions with 2 Tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil. Stir occasionally while you’re preparing the other vegetables.
Peel the potatoes potatoes. Keep them in water to prevent them from turning brown. I chopped these into smaller pieces.
I weighed my potatoes and had 1 ¼ pounds (565 grams) of potatoes. One pound would probably work just as well.
Take 3 stalks of celery. Slice them lengthwise in half. Then, chop into small pieces. Go stir those onions.
Chop up a quarter of a head of cabbage. Slice into ¼ inch and then cut those long slices into pieces that are smaller than 1 inch. Go stir those onions.
Add all of the chopped vegetables to the Instant Pot along with 8 cups (2 Liters) of chicken stock. You can also use a vegetable stock but here I’m using a very rich, brown chicken stock.
Set the Instant Pot using Manual to 7 minutes on High Pressure. This will take 20 minutes to come up to pressure and cook.
Meanwhile, combine 1 cup of sour cream, 2 Tablespoons flour, and ½ cup milk in a blender. After waiting 10 minutes for a natural pressure release, open up the Instant Pot.
Scoop out 2 cups of the hot soup from the Instant Pot. I used a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Add that to the blender contents and blend until smooth. I used my blender’s “soup” setting.
Return the blended vegetables and cream to the Instant Pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add in chopped dill.
- Instant Pot
Instant Pot Ukrainian Potato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 - 1 ½ pounds potatoes diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- ¼ green cabbage sliced into small pieces
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh dill or 2 Tablespoons dried dill
- Heat the Instant Pot to Saute Low. Meanwhile, chop up the onion. Add 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil to the pot along with the onions.
- Chop up the remaining vegetables - keeping the potatoes in water until they're needed. Add the chopped vegetables to the onions along with the 8 cups of stock.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set the cooking time for 7 minutes on High Pressure using Manual. Wait 10 minutes for a natural pressure release.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup sour cream, ½ cup milk, and 2 Tablespoons flour in a blender. When the cooking time and release is finished, remove 2 cups of the vegetables and blend with the cream mixture. Return to the Instant Pot.
- Season with salt, pepper and dill.